Monroe Township is a township in Middlesex County, New Jersey. Monroe Township was founded in 1838 and named in honor of the President of the United States James Monroe. For many decades, it was largely a farming community. Monroe Township was incorporated as a township by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature on April 9, 1838, from portions of South Amboy Township, based on the results of a referendum held that same day. Portions of the township were taken to form East Brunswick Township (February 28, 1860), Cranbury Township (March 7, 1872) and Jamesburg (March 19, 1887). Clearbrook Park, Concordia, Rossmoor and Whittingham are unincorporated communities located within Monroe Township.
Monroe Township is a growing community filled with 55+ communities, new construction, shopping centers, a synagogue, a recreation center, and a new library.