The area now known as Cherry Hill was originally settled by the Lenni-Lenape Native Americans who coexisted peacefully with the first settlers from England, namely Quaker followers of William Penn who arrived in the late 17th century. The municipality was founded on February 25, 1844, in Gloucester County as Delaware Township from half of the area of Waterford Township, and became part of Camden County at its creation some two weeks later on March 13, 1844. Portions of the township were taken to form Stockton Township (February 23, 1859) and Merchantville (March 3, 1874). At its territorial peak, Delaware Township included all of modern-day Cherry Hill Township, as well as the neighborhood of North Camden and the municipalities Merchantville and Pennsauken.
The township’s population grew rapidly after World War II, and continued to increase until the 1980s. Today, the municipality’s population is stable with new development generally occurring in pockets of custom luxury houses or through the rehabilitation and adaptive reuse of commercial and industrial areas.
Cherry Hill is a family-friendly suburb of Philadelphia (just 15 minutes away), Cherry Hill is also the commercial center of southern New Jersey.